AAS works hard to be a LEED Gold Certified School. LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) is globally recognized as a best practice in green building design, construction, and operation. In March 2012, The Balkan Wing achieved Gold Certification under the LEED for Existing Buildings: Operation and Maintenance rating system. At the time, AAS was one of only three such schools in Europe. In August 2013, The Vitosha Wing earned Gold Certification under the LEED for Schools system, which at the time was the highest score of any new building ever constructed in Bulgaria.
AAS is a school that has made a commitment to sustainability. Our building is a model for green technology and living. As such, we ask our community to support this theme as well by reading and adhering to the AAS sustainability pledge.
- I will plan my use of resources (paper, water, materials) before I start a project.
- I will print on both sides of the paper and preview before I print.
- I will not use the printer as a copier.
- I will place one-sided printed paper neatly into the REUSE box and will use this paper when possible.
- I will use the recycling bins correctly.
- I will turn off computers, monitors, printers, projectors, water tabs, and lights when not in use.
- I will use digital formats when permissible to reduce the amount of paper I use.
- I will reduce my use of plastics at home and at school.
- I will take the opportunity to educate others about sustainability.
- I will encourage others to follow the sustainability pledge.
- We provide secure bicycle parking, bicycle racks, showers, and changing rooms.
- We provide preferred parking for carpools and alternative energy vehicles.
- Over sixty percent of our school population travels by bus.
- We are a no-idle school. Turn off your engine while waiting.
- We use native and adaptive plants accustomed to Bulgaria’s climate.
- We utilize irrigation efficiency.
- We use captured rainwater for a variety of purposes.
- Our roof has two to three times the insulation of standard roofs.
- Our green roof improves insulation and reduces heat island effect.
- We collect rainwater from our roof for reuse.
- We help flood control and water quality with our green roof.
- We have thermal solar panels for heating water.
- We have double-pane windows filled with argon gas.
- We have increased sound and thermal insulation.
- We use abundant natural light in classrooms, learning spaces and public spaces.
- We have photovoltaic solar panels providing covered parking to generate electricity.
- We have simulated a closed-loop water system allowing for the reuse of rainwater.
- We use biologically based sewage treatment in an area where such a municipal service is not offered.
- The Vitosha Wing is built so the surface runoff from a storm is no greater than prior to the construction.
- We provide high efficiency plumbing fixtures that aid in efficiency.
- We have waterless urinals.
- We reduce, reuse and recycle paper, glass, plastic, and food.
- We reduce CO2 emissions directly and indirectly.
- We have sustainable purchasing of ongoing consumables.