During the Middle School years students are given the opportunity to try various sports - often for the first time - with after school coaching twice a week.Anglo-American School fields strong teams in Athletics, taking full advantage of the sponsored inter-school sports events that are sponsored by CEESA. Even if not selected for the final, travelling team, local tournaments with other Sofia schools are often arranged so new skills can be tested out in a competitive environment.
Sports offered at AAS include:
- MS Soccer/Football: AAS MS teams play 7-aside games against other CEESA schools. Our girls are in Division 1 and boys in Division 2.
- Tennis: AAS tennis runs in the fall for MS. We select 6 players to travel to the CEESA tournament; 2 students play singles and 4 students make up 2 doubles pairs.
- X-Country Running: The participants run 2 races over the 2 days at CEESA. MS students run a 2.5km race and a 3.5km race. The races are over varying terrain and may include; grass, trails through forests, water features, hills and flat ground. It is a combined MS/HS event and each school is allowed to have up to 6 runners in each age/gender.
- Basketball: AAS teams play in the CEESA Division 1 group for all teams; MS boys and girls.
- Swimming: AAS competes in CEESA swimming every year. It is a combined MS and HS team consisting of up to 32 swimmers, 8 in each age/gender. Swimmers can compete in both individual and team relay events.
- Volleyball: All AAS volleyball teams compete in the spring season. The travel team may consist of up to 10 students.
- Softball: Slow-pitch softball is played during the spring season, this is relatively new to AAS and we are building the program to include both boys and girls teams.