Since 2006 Anglo American School has offered full academic scholarships to provide opportunity to talented Bulgarian students who are not currently studying at the school.
Successful candidates must meet ALL of the following criteria:
- Excellent English language skills
- Outstanding academic performance
- personal qualities that allow them to work in a team
- willingness to make significant efforts in the learning process
- proven need for financial support to the family
- Students should be in grade 7 or 8 at the time of applying;
- Applicants must demonstrate a level of English that will allow them to successfully learn in an English-speaking environment;
- Applicants must have Bulgarian citizenship;
- Applicants should accept that receiving a scholarship is a privilege that has the appropriate responsibilities.
- Official documents on financial status: an official note from the employer (s) of each parent indicating annual gross and net income OR a tax return for parents who have their own business for the most recent tax year (in Bulgarian)
- A copy of the diploma or official reference for annual assessments of all subjects for the last two years, including the current school year (in Bulgarian)
- Three confidential recommendations (template provided by AAS), completed by the respective teacher in English
- Two additional confidential recommendations from teachers (in Bulgarian)
- An essay in English written by the applicant on a topic specified by the Scholarship Committee
- Details of the student's passport / ID card or birth certificate. Details of passports / ID cards of both parents.
What does the scholarship cover?
The full scholarship includes the annual tuition fee for the full scholarship course (4 or 5 years), a full set of textbooks and other training materials, and up to three trips a year for competitions abroad for educational purposes. The scholarship covers up to 75% of the school bus fee if the student uses this service.
The scholarship does NOT cover the student's daily cost of food, daily travel expenses, and some school trips.
What are the extra costs?
The parents of the scholarship holders are obliged to pay the sum of 2 000 BGN annually, which will be used for extracurricular forms of education, including international sports and academic trips. In case the student wishes to use the school bus, parents have to pay 25% of the annual school transport fee.
What diploma do the AAS graduates receive?
The Anglo-American School does not follow the standards of the Ministry of Education and the Bulgarian National Curriculum. Please note that because of the differences in curricula, transferring back to a Bulgarian school would be difficult. Graduates of the AAS receive a diploma from an internationally licensed school. The official accreditation of the AAS was provided by CIS and NEASC. Those who have successfully passed the IB Diploma Course acquire an internationally recognized IB (International Baccalaureate) diploma that allows them to continue their education at universities and colleges worldwide. The education, provided by AAS is particularly suitable for students who intend to continue their education abroad.
Can I apply for a scholarship if I am not from Sofia?
All Bulgarian students, who are currently in grades 7 and 8 and are not studying at the school, can apply for a scholarship.
Since AAS does not provide dormitories, the scholar should provide assurances that they live in Sofia with their parents or a responsible adult guardian approved by the school administration.
Can I lose my right to receive a scholarship?
In order to continue to receive his/her scholarship in the next school year, the scholarship student must have at least B + yearly grade. If the student does not meet the academic requirements, they are given some time to adjust their grades and will be provided with additional support.